Saturday, March 10, 2018

Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL - March


March is finally here! Some of our biggest snowstorms have been in March. Just when you think winter could almost be over we get slammed with a huge snowstorm. When my kids were small, I loved those snowstorm days. I made hot cocoa and popped popcorn. We'd watch Disney movies and just hang out. Now when a big ol' storm hits, we text each other and ask 'how much snow do you have'.
This month we will be working on a big pine tree. It'll look great next to the cabin that we made last month. The fun thing about this quilt is you can choose to do it scrappy or not scrappy, I'm doing a little of both. It's a great project to use up some of your stash. This month we will work on a block that I have named 'Big Tree'. A cozy cabin needs a big tree to shade it. The block is the same size as the Cozy Cabin block. One thing to keep in mind is to do the background the same or similar fabrics as you did for your Cozy Cabin block. This will also be true with the blocks for May and September. (We will get back to making 'strips' next month.) 
Here are my fabrics all cut and ready to go.
To form the triangle square blocks I sew corner to corner...

My stack of triangle squares, sewn... but I need to trim the extra fabric and iron.

I find it helpful to have a large work space to lay this block out.

Everything's in place and ready to be sewn.

All of my 2 1/2" squares are sewn, now just to add the bottom 2 1/2" strip.


'Big Tree'
Quilt Doodle BOM 2014 Quilt Layout
 If you blog about it, please email me a link so that I can attach it to the Pinterest Board I have going for the Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL. I hope you have fun with this section of the  quilt. It can easily be done in a weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's trees! You can post photos on Instagram and tag @quiltdoodledesigns or #quiltdoodledesignsqal

It'll be fun to see everyone's blocks! If you haven't joined in on the fun for this years QAL you can still join the party. All you need to do is purchase the Minnesota Winter Wonderland pattern. It can be found in my Etsy shop and also on the Quilt Doodle Designs website.  We will work on the next section on April 14th.

Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

No comments:

Post a Comment